Saturday, March 17, 2012

What I DON'T like about Africa

There is ONE THING that I really don't like about Africa:

It's a certain automatic mathematical equation.

Wanna know which one???


 SKIN-COLOUR WHITE = MONEY

I know this may seem blunt - but it is true.

When people see you as a "Mzungu" - white person - 

they automatically think you've got money.

 
Ahemmm
 

As much as there is truth in it

It bothers me, because it is NOT ALWAYS true!
{just take me as an example... hehe}


And by the way, not everyone in Africa thinks this.

On our first trip to Uganda, Rich and I were told that

more than anything,

more than money,

what our African FAMILY REALLY want is

our FRIENDSHIP

our LOVE

us WALKING WITH them -

letting them feel that they're not alone in their intense struggles.


BUT - for the majority, the above equation is what they've got in mind when they spot white skin,

as wrinkly and freckly as it may be - haha!


{of course, with the exception of the children}


Remember Praise?

If you're new to my blog, you can read about my recent visit with her here and here.


Well, after my visit, the team from International Voice for the Orphan that I wrote about also visited her.

They took pictures of the children so that they can find prayer sponsors for them as a part of this beautiful ministry they have recently started.

This was supposed to be a blessing for Praise and the children

And I believe that it WILL BE - some day.

But at the moment, our/their visit is more of a "curse" for Praise

WHY?

Because she's now got PRESSURE from her debtor to repay the loan she took to get the house into a live-able state before she moved there with the children early February.

some of the children with Irene Kisolo, who is over-seeing Praise together with her husband Sam on the day we visited from Jinja (2 1/2 hours drive one way)


He saw the Mzungus visit - and concluded that they must have left a lot of money for Praise

{which I'm sure we ALL would have LOVED to do!!!}

But unfortunately, this was not the case.

So now she's got the debtor at her heels, demanding a prompt repayment of NZ$2,600 {US$2,200}

This makes me  ~  mad!

All I can do is PRAY - for GOD to intervene.

Will you pray with me, PLEASE?!!!



THANKS for letting me vent!
Boy, this blog is therapeutic for me :)


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

IF you want to GIVE towards this need, you can do it through

Orphans Aid International (mark: Orphans Know More, Praise) if you're in New Zealand

YWAM Cimarron (mark: Orphans Know More, Praise) if you're in the USA and

from any other country, just email me.
{and please also let me know with a short email if you give through the above websites - THANKS!}

1 comment:

Joanna @ Asking with Faith said...

I was one of the team members with Dwight. I am so sad that this has happened. I'm praying for Praise, that God will provide a way for her. And YES, if I could I would of left much money with her! She is my hero and I loved the time we spent there. Thank you so much for introducing us to her!